Only 1 M25 protester in court after eco-activists caused traffic chaos as cops face questions over handling of protests

ONLY one M25 protester is expected to face court after eco-activists caused havoc on the roads.

Alexander Rodger, 31, was charged with criminal damage after the chaotic scenes – despite dozens being dragged off the motorways last week.

Rodger is expected to face court at Medway magistrates' court on October 20.

But the Times today revealed the 31-year-old was the only one to face court over the protests that forced traffic to a standstill.

For five days, Insulate Britain protesters blocked traffic on the M25 – with explosive scenes between the eco-activists and lorry drivers unfolding.

And on Friday, the protesters caused havoc at the Port of Dover by stopping truck drivers – amid the lorry shortage crisis.

Police faced criticism during the protests for not acting fast enough to remove the activists off the roads.

And the protester's actions sparked sweeping powers to be brought in, with protesters warned they would face a prison sentence if they continued to block roads.

Under the new injunction, protesters are banned from occupying the A20 and strategic roads linked to the Port of Dover.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said: "We won't tolerate reckless behaviour on motorways or ports.

"I'm therefore seeking a further injunction to prevent this disruption.

"Living in a democracy everyone is entitled to protest, but that doesn't extend to closing roads and ruining livelihoods."

It means anyone breaching the order could face a prison sentence, similar to the injunction granted after the M25 protests.

But there are fears the group could now target other motorways this week due to the injunction.

Lisa Townsend, police and crime commissioner for Surrey, told The Daily Telegraph: "I'm not suggesting the CPS have been sitting around twiddling their thumbs but the police have come in for an enormous amount of flak over the past two weeks and it is incredibly frustrating when they have been doing their utmost to arrest people and prevent disruption."

A CPS spokesperson said: "Offences committed at a protest are often summary only and if the police have sufficient evidence they can charge those themselves without the need to come to us.

"When the CPS does get involved we will not hesitate to charge protesters, as we have done in the past, if our legal test is met. Each case is different and is considered solely on the material provided to us by the police. We do not speculate on how other cases may impact on it.”

    Source: Read Full Article