NJ woman stole oil tanker truck and evaded police during 8-hour joyride: cops

More On:


Brother of accused Times Square shooter cut loose after new larceny bust

Lawyer for scooter ‘thief’ victim-shames 7-year-old kid in court

Cops bust lowlife accused of snatching young boy’s e-scooter in NYC

‘How low can you go?’: Identity thieves target Florida condo collapse victims

A New Jersey woman stole an oil tanker truck and took it on an eight-hour joyride, in which she escaped several police chases and caused several crashes, according to cops.

Camille Wescott, 44, allegedly stole the Taylor Oil truck in Bellmawr at 12:30 p.m. Saturday — and wasn’t arrested until 8:30 that night in Wildwood, 80 miles away on the Jersey Shore, police said.

During her alleged hours-long joyride, the Lawnside woman was “involved in several motor vehicle accidents in several different jurisdictions,” the force said.

She’d also proven too slippery to catch in the stolen oil truck, having been “involved in several vehicle pursuits with several different law enforcement agencies” throughout the day, Wildwood police said.

At least one included state troopers who followed the truck after GPS pinned it to a trailer park in Upper Pittsgrove around 6 p.m., NJ.com said.

Most of the pursuits were broken off for safety reasons, Wildwood Lt. Kenneth Gallagher told the local outlet.

Wescott’s wild ride came to a crude end — with police forcing their way inside the locked cab after getting calls of an “erratic driver” trying to fill up with gas at a Wawa in Wildwood.

She “refused to comply with officer’s commands and refused to exit the vehicle,” police said — and repeatedly “pressed on the brake pedal and checked her mirrors as if she was attempting to pull the vehicle out.”

She failed, however, because “she was unable to get the tanker truck re-started,” police said, noting that she still refused to get out.

“Due to public safety concerns and fear that the commercial oil truck would travel back onto the highly congested public roadway, forced entry was made into the vehicle,” Wildwood police said.

“The defendant was removed from the vehicle and taken into custody without further incident.”

Wescott was charged with receiving stolen property, obstruction of justice and resisting arrest and was turned over to Bellmawr police, the statement said.

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article