A TODDLER has died after being found unconscious inside a running washing machine.
Cops in New Zealand are investigating after the child – who is of pre-school age – was found in the washing machine, which had been turned off.
A police spokesperson told Stuff.co.nz emergency services were called to an incident in the suburb of Hoon Hay, Christchurch, about 5pm on Friday.
One person was injured and taken to hospital where they later died, the spokesperson said.
“Police are making enquiries into the circumstances of the death and the coroner has been informed,” the police spokesperson said.
Police said the child's death was not being treated as suspicious.
A group of mourners were at the property on Sunday after the toddler's tragic death.
Waihoro/Spreydon-Cashmere Community Board chairwoman Karolyn Potter said the community was resilient and would rally around the family.
"This is a sadness that's beyond talking about."
Since 2014 in the US, there have been an estimated 3000 children aged under five who have gone to hospital emergency rooms to be treated for washing machine related injuries.
In 2019 a two-year-old girl died after she climbed inside a tumble dryer while her mum slept.
She was reportedly found inside the dryer on Sunday at a trailer park in Waycross, Georgia US.
The child’s death came a week after a grieving mum told how her son Ollie, 2, drowned in their washing machine in 2012.
Tiffany Hebb, from Utah, told how the youngster was helping her throw some sheets into the washing machine.
The year before a four-year-old boy drowned inside a washing machine at home after climbing and closing the door behind him.
The incident happened at his family home in the United Arab Emirates.
Police said the child had been left in the care of his grandmother and uncle while his mum was out.
The boy had climbed into the washing machine while playing and the wash cycle started automatically when the door closed, trapping him inside.
Source: Read Full Article