A MUM has been arrested for allegedly poisoning her four-month-old baby son to death by breastfeeding him after a birthday drinks binge.
The unnamed woman, 32, is now facing jail for manslaughter in Russia after the little baby died as he drank her "poisoned" milk.
State investigators in Gorno-Altaisk say that she is being investigated for causing "death by negligence" after the tot consumed her 'alcoholic' breastmilk.
After the boozy birthday celebration, she “went to bed next to her young son”, claimed the Investigative Committee.
In a statement, it said: “The woman, being in a state of alcoholic intoxication, knowing for certain that her breast milk contained alcohol dangerous to the life and health of the baby…twice breastfed the four-month-old (child)."
Consuming the milk “led to the fatal poisoning of the baby” according to officials.
The conclusion came one month after the child died – and the 32-year-old woman can be jailed for up to two years if convicted.
The statement did not say if the mother had been detained.
Further investigations are underway establishing full details and the “circumstances that led her to committing the crime under investigation”, said the statement.
Doctors warn that babies can suffer sudden infant death syndrome after drinking milk contaminated with alcohol.
While frequent, excessive drinking is strongly discouraged, nursing mothers can drink alcohol – as long as they drink in moderation and wait a few hours before feeding.
Four years ago, a two-month-old baby girl died after her binge-drinking mum breastfed her after knocking back 18 bourbon and cokes at a party.
Little Sapphire Williams, from Ahipara, New Zealand, died on January 2, 2017, and was found with six times the legal blood alcohol limit in her system.
A coroner’s reports into her tragic death did not find a direct cause of death but found that booze intoxication and a dangerous sleeping environment were factors in her passing.
Her mum admitted to authorities that she drank 18 bourbon and cokes at her cousin’s house the day before her daughter’s death.
The alcohol in the blood from Sapphire’s heart was found at have 308 milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood – six times the legal limit for a driver in New Zealand.
Can you drink alcohol when breastfeeding?
Good news mums, you can drink alcohol when breastfeeding – but only in moderation.
The NHS advise that mums have no more than two units of alcohol, twice-a-week.
To put that into context, one unit equates to a 25ml shot, half a pint of beer, or a 125ml glass of wine.
Which means one double spirit measure, a pint or a large (250ml) glass of wine is your limit for the day.
Regularly drinking more than two units per day can affect your baby's development, according to some studies, meaning it's just not worth the risk.
And boozing parents should make sure there's a sober adult on-hand to care for young kids.
Never share a bed or a sofa with your baby if you've had a drink, as this can increase the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
Source: Read Full Article