KATE GARRAWAY'S husband Derek Draper remains very ill in hospital after he contracted coronavirus in March 2020.
Kate revealed that Derek had said his first word since he entered a coma – but he still has a long way to full recovery.
What is the latest on Kate Garraway's husband Derek Draper?
On 30 Oct 2020, Kate revealed that Derek had uttered his first word – after 214 days in hospital.
Kate agonisingly watched through FaceTime as Derek mouthed the word “pain” whilst doctors manipulated his body to prevent him seizing up.
She said: “Obviously it’s so heart-wrenching that his first word was ‘pain’, but it is a huge breakthrough because it means he has been able to connect the feeling in his body to his brain and mouth."
On September 29, 2020, it was revealed how Derek is now the country’s longest-fighting Covid-19 patient after marking six months in hospital.
He was hospitalised on March 28, 2020, and has spent his 184th day in and out of intensive care.
The former lobbyist is believed to be the longest surviving coronavirus victim in the UK still receiving treatment in hospital after such a lengthy spell.
In August 2020, Fatima Bridle returned home following a then record-breaking 141 days in hospital, including 105 on a ventilator.
The Good Morning Britain star urged people to stick with government guidelines to stop the spread of the virus as her husband Derek remains seriously ill in hospital.
A friend of Kate told The Sun: “Kate has been so brave and her strength is awe-inspiring.
“But the truth is that progress is very, very slow.
"Derek has now been hospitalised for six months which makes him one of only a handful of people who have been in hospital for this long.
“It’s incredibly tough for Kate though because some days he shows signs of improvement, and then 24 hours later he has taken a worrying turn for the worse.
“It’s literally one step forward, two steps back."
Timeline of Derek Draper's coronavirus battle
- March 30: Derek rushed to hospital after testing positive for coronavirus.
- Mid April: Derek was admitted to intensive care four days later. He entered a coma as his condition deteriorated.
- May 1: Kate shared that Derek is still unresponsive.
- May 28: The GMB presenter said that Derek is still in a coma and under the care of the NHS but that she is hopeful.
- May 31: Kate revealed she has been forced to find new ways to keep her kids strong as Derek remains critical.
- June 2: Kate is urged to "have hope" as her fans send her uplifting stories.
- June 5: Kate made an emotional appearance on GMB to tell viewers that her husband is "very very sick" but "Covid free", and that they are not sure if "he will recover".
- June 6: Kate told The Sun that Derek may be locked in a coma forever after coronavirus "attacked everything".
- June 7: Kate also revealed to The Sun that her son, Billy, 10, sleeps beside his dad's empty bed while he is in a coronavirus coma.
- June 14: Piers Morgan writes in his Daily Mail column that Kate doesn't know if Derek will ever come home.
- July 5: Kate revealed that Derek has woken from the coma and is now opening his eyes.
- July 8: Kate goes on GMB to talk about Derek being out of coma but how it is "a miracle he is still alive".
- July 13: Kate returns to GMB.
- July 14: Kate reveals she will be visiting Derek in hospital.
- July 19: Kate revealed her heartache at Derek missing their son's birthday.
- July 21: Kate revealed her husband heard her voice when nurses put GMB on for him. She also revealed that she would be visiting him for a second time.
- July 22: Kate's Global radio colleague Roman Kemp revealed that her kids are going through a "tough time".
- July 27: On GMB, Kate reveals she is "at her limit" after acar tyre blowout on the motorway. The terrifying blowout occurred when Kate was driving back to the hospital to visit Derek after taking their children on a trip to Kent.
- July 28: Kate reveals Derek is stable but hasn't improved, but that she visited him in hospital a day earlier despite her car blowout.
- July 29: Kate's Good Morning Britain colleague Alex Beresford said he has been "in awe" of her resilience.
- August 3: Kate revealed Jeremy Kyle helped take her kids Billy and Darcey to stay with ill dad Derek’s parents.
- August 4: Kate revealed how she wanted to donate her own blood to save Derek.
- August 10: Kate revealed how she desperately wants Derek to wake up.
- August 11: Kate said she will donate "liquid gold" plasma although it's too late for it to have an affect on Derek as he is no longer fighting coronavirus.
- August 13: Kate wishes husband Derek "good morning" as she tells GMB viewers he’ll be watching in hospital.
- August 17: Kate missed her slot on Good Morning Britain – though she was scheduled to have a day off.
- August 19: Kate returns to GMB after taking a few days off. – she revealed she fought back tears at a "challenging" day being separated from Derek on his 53rd birthday.
- August 20: Kate reveals she has received "abuse" about "laughing and joking" on Good Morning Britain while Derek remains in intensive care.
- September 10: Kate revealed it's a "tough day" as it's their 15th Wedding Anniversary and she cannot visit Derek.
- September 11: Kate revealed Derek was still unable to speak but she would be visiting him in hospital to celebrate their 15th wedding anniversary.
- September 25: Kate reveals it had been a "tough week" for Derek.
- September 28: Kate's ITV breakfast colleague Lorraine Kelly rips into Covid protesters saying they need to see Kate "hell’.
- September 29: It was revealed how Derek's six-month Covid battle is now longest in the UK.
- October 1: Kate said she is tempted to show Covid rule-breakers a picture of Derek and warned "you don’t want this in your life’".
- October 30: Derek uttered his first word – "pain" after 214 days in hospital.
Many stars such as Piers Morgan and Ben Shephard, who Kate hosts Good Morning Britain with, have sent their best wishes to the star and her husband.
Piers tweeted: “This breaks my heart. Few happier, more positive people than @kategarraway. Or a more loyal, decent friend & colleague.
"So many families like hers going through so much unimaginable anguish in this crisis. Sending all my love to Kate & continuing to root for Derek."
She’s thanked everyone for their ongoing support and wished other families going through similar struggles her best wishes.
Source: Read Full Article