Two kids found sleeping in cupboards in overcrowded space at back of shop unit

Two children were discovered sleeping in cupboards in dire and overcrowded accommodation behind a Premier store, a court was told.

A pregnant woman was among nine people crammed into two living spaces secretly built and converted inside the back of the shop unit in Bristol.

When shocked council environmental health officers visited the property they found three of the nine people living there were sleeping in cupboards in the eaves of the roof, including two children.

Housing chief Paul Smith described it as ‘some of the worst conditions’ that environmental health officers working in the field had ever seen, Bristol Live reports.

The man who owned the shop and was the tenants’ landlord, was found guilty of renting out accommodation that was of such poor quality it ‘posed a serious risk to life’.

  • Mum stuck in tiny 'prison' room with daughters, 9 and 6, scared to use the toilet

  • 'Our kids are being left behind by poverty and miss out on clothes and trips'

Deepak Singh Sachdeva who owned the Premier store in Avonmouth Road, Avonmouth, did not turn up to court and was found guilty of a host of offences under both the Housing Act 2004 and the 2007 Houses in Multiple Occupation Act.

The living accommodation was above the shop’s rear storage area, and the court heard it was found to be ‘of poor structural condition and design, posing serious risk to life due to inadequate fire separation and precautions’.

“There was very poor fire resistant separation between the shop store and the flat above, with the floorboards of the living accommodation clearly visible from the storage area immediately below,” a council spokesperson said.

“Other property defects included large gaps around fire doors, offering no protection from potential fire or smoke hazards. There was no working fire detection in place prior to emergency smoke detectors being fitted by the council.

“One of the studio flats also lacked basic ventilation, with no external windows and limited access via a poorly maintained staircase,” he added.

Singh Sashdeva, who lives in Surbiton in Surrey, was ordered to pay £87,000 in fines, and with costs and a victim fund surcharge, he will have to pay £88,634.

  • Increase child benefit by £5 a week, Boris Johnson, to lift kids out of poverty

“The magistrates felt that the high penalty reflected the money made from the tenants, given the severity of complete disregard for the safety of tenants, particularly children and the serious risk to life the property posed,” the council spokesperson added.

The city council has beefed up its action on tackling slum landlords, and has brought in tougher licensing rules for HMOs across Bristol, and landlord licensing more generally in many parts of Bristol.

“These were some of the worst conditions environmental health officers working in this field have seen,” said the council’s cabinet member for housing, Cllr Paul Smith.

“The property had been so badly built and managed that the tenants were constantly in serious danger.

“The risk was so severe that the council had little option but to formally order people not to live in the accommodation.

“This case is a prime example of a rogue landlord who has put the safety and welfare of tenants at risk and has been rightly convicted and fined for this.

“We are committed to investigating substandard accommodation and bringing landlords or agents that profit illegally from it to justice,” he added.

Source: Read Full Article