Harry Kane confirms he’s STAYING at Tottenham as he admits defeat on his £150m Man City move and says he’ll ‘focus on helping Spurs’, despite accusing Daniel Levy of breaking promises
- Harry Kane’s protracted move to Manchester City has become saga of summer
- But the England captain is now set to concentrate on Tottenham’s season ahead
- The 28-year-old has been the champions’ No 1 striker target so far this window
- City’s formal £100m offer in June included £75m up front and was rejected
Harry Kane has accepted he is staying at Tottenham Hotspur, confirming that he ‘will be 100 per cent focused on helping the team achieve success’ this season, despite last week believing he had been on the receiving end of broken promises by the club.
The England captain’s protracted move to Manchester City has become the biggest transfer saga of the summer.
But the Spurs striker has drawn a line under the episode to concentrate on the season ahead with Tottenham.
Harry Kane has accepted that is he is staying at Tottenham, confirming so on Wednesday
The England captain’s protracted move to Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City has become the biggest transfer saga of the summer
Taking to Twitter on Wednesday afternoon, the 28-year-old confirmed that he will remain in north London this season by writing: ‘It was incredible to see the reception from the Spurs fans on Sunday and to read some of the messages of support I’ve had in the last few weeks.
‘I will be staying at Tottenham this summer and will be 100% focused on helping the team achieve success. #COYS.’
As revealed by Sportstmail last week, sources close to the England captain insisted he will continue to give everything to Spurs, despite feeling that the club have not matched his ambitions.
Kane’s camp claim it was agreed he would be permitted to leave if Spurs didn’t win a trophy or qualify for the Champions League last season.
But the Spurs striker has drawn a line under the episode to concentrate on the season ahead with Nuno Espirito Santo’s men
Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy hard-ball tactics have worked as he manages to keep his star
While Kane has since reaffirmed his future in north London, the star striker…
- Believes Levy has broken promises to let him leave if Spurs failed to finish in the top four or win a trophy last season.
- Is concerned the Spurs chairman is refusing to engage with City’s most recent attempts to open dialogue over a deal.
- Understands that City’s latest offer was worth up to £125million, as Sportsmail revealed earlier this month.
- Believes the controversy over his extended holiday in the Bahamas and USA is the result of a breakdown in communication.
- Hopes the club’s fans understand his desire to win trophies.
TIMELINE: HOW THE KANE SAGA UNFOLDED
Harry Kane reiterates to chairman Daniel Levy that he wants to leave Spurs in summer after failing to finish top four or win a trophy.
The 28-year-old appears to wave goodbye to the Spurs fans after their final home game of the season, a 2-1 defeat by Aston Villa.
Kane’s interview with Gary Neville, recorded a few days earlier, is streamed on YouTube. He tells Neville he needed ‘a good, honest conversation with the chairman’ about his future.
After a poor start to Euro 2020, England captain Kane denies being distracted by reports that Manchester City, his preferred destination, have made a £100m offer to sign him.
Kane is said to have told guests at his brother’s wedding that he was set to join Pep Guardiola’s side.
He fails to report back for pre-season training at Spurs.
Kane says on Twitter that he ‘would never’ refuse to return to training and that his absence was ‘as planned’. City boss Guardiola tells reporters he wants to sign the striker. Levy values his star man at £150m.
Kane returns to Tottenham but has to quarantine from his team-mates after his summer holiday in the Bahamas.
Spurs boss Nuno Espirito Santo insists Kane is still in contention for the first game of the season against his suitors City.
Kane returns to training on his own and holds talks with Nuno for the first time.
Spurs beat City in the opening game of the season with Kane not included in the squad. After the match, Nuno says he expects him to stay at the club.
Kane trains with his Tottenham team-mates for the first time but accuses Levy of breaking promises in not allowing him to leave.
Kane makes his first appearance of the season for Spurs, coming on as a substitute during their 1-0 Premier League win at Wolves.
Tottenham believe they are winning the battle to keep Kane as it emerged Manchester City’s opening offer for the striker was worth only a guaranteed £75m.
Manchester City are ready to make one final push for Kane with the Premier League champions undeterred by Spurs’ resolute stance.
Kane confirms he will be staying at Tottenham by tweeting he is ‘100 per cent focused on helping the team achieve success’.
Sources close to Kane claim that during a meeting at the start of last season, Levy agreed to let the striker leave if Spurs failed to qualify for the Champions League or win silverware.
During the summit, it is said Kane was told by the chairman that Spurs, then coached by Jose Mourinho, would compete for trophies and for the top four.
Kane was led to believe that if those goals were not met, the club would allow him to leave.
Kane, who signed a six-year deal in 2018, had meetings with Levy to discuss his concerns even before last year’s talks. It is claimed he has not been happy at Spurs for at least 18 months.
The Kane camp believed there has been communication between Spurs and City over the past year, which is why he expected to join the champions this summer.
Kane has been City’s No 1 target this summer but they will have to turn their attentions elsewhere if they wish to sign a centre-forward.
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy has remained steadfast that the club’s top scorer in each of the past seven seasons is not for sale this summer.
Indeed, Sportsmail revealed on Monday that Spurs chiefs were confident they were winning the battle to keep hold of their wantaway striker.
Any move for Kane from City would have likely cost at least £150million, eclipsing the figure the Premier League champions paid for Jack Grealish earlier this summer.
City’s opening £100m offer for the Three Lions striker in June was worth only a guaranteed £75m, and with fewer than seven days of the transfer window left the north London side believe it is virtually impossible that Kane will leave.
Sportsmail reported earlier this week that City were expected to launch a fresh bid to land Kane in a deal worth £125m, with the club not having given up hope of landing the forward.
The 28-year-old was made Pep Guardiola’s only target to replace club record goalscorer Sergio Aguero after it became clear Erling Haaland’s immediate future lay with Borussia Dortmund.
But Sportsmail understands City could now divert their attention towards the Norway international next summer with Spurs appearing increasingly unlikely to convinced to sell Kane, a stand that’s been reaffirmed by their No 10’s tweet.
The England star himself had appeared to have underlined his commitment to Spurs following two social media posts, before making his first appearance of the season as a substitute in Sunday’s win at Wolves. He then reaffirmed his immediate future with Wednesday’s tweet.
Last season’s Champions League finalists are also understood to have been offered a £25m deal for Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo by his agent Jorge Mendes.
The 36-year-old has one year remaining on his deal in Turin and doubts about his future have emerged following reports he asked to begin last weekend’s season opener at Udinese on the bench.
According to L’Equipe, Ronaldo is currently trying to create the right circumstances for a move, including a swap deal involving Portugal team-mate Bernardo Silva or defender Aymeric Laporte. But City’s sights had always been set on Kane.
Injuries reduced Aguero – now at Barcelona – to a bit-part role in 2020-21, making just seven top-flight starts as City recorded their lowest number of goals in a league campaign since Guardiola’s first year in charge.
The Catalan boss therefore favoured the use of false nines, and now central option Gabriel Jesus is believed to have told his manager he now prefers operating on the wing.
Spurs chairman Levy has been adamant Kane will not leave the club this summer
City could now turn their attention to signing Borussia Dortmund’s Erling Haaland next year
It is understood City have also been offered Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo this summer
Guardiola has deployed Ferran Torres up front too, while Liam Delap is another option, with the teenager set to stay at the Etihad Stadium despite loan interest.
Kevin De Bruyne and Raheem Sterling have both played through the middle, with new £100m signing Grealish also a possible striker.
Bernardo Silva can fill in in that unfamiliar role too, although the Portugal star is still the most likely first-team star to leave the club with interest from Spain.
Gary Neville, whose interview with Kane sparked the big summer transfer saga, told Sky Sports’ Monday Night Football his former club Manchester United could win the title by signing him.
‘I think if Kane went to United they could get up to 90-95 points,’ said Neville.
‘They’re going to have to buy a centre-forward at some point, why not get the man now and give Ole (Solskjaer) the impetus he needs to get to that points total.’
The club are still on the lookout for Sergio Aguero’s replacement after he joined Barcelona
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article