EVEN THE most low-maintenance guy has to spend a significant amount of time – and money – on their hair, going to the barber a couple of times a month for cuts, shaves or beard trims.
The other alternative? You can take charge of your own hair and facial hair with a functional and precise piece of tech – the best men's hair clippers will get you looking your best and save you cash down the line.
For many, a great hair clipper will come with a wide variety of combs for added versatility: high-quality combs allow you to cut hair precisely and customise different hair styles and lengths.
While many of the experts insist you’ll have the best experience with a corded clipper, there are plenty of travel-friendly models which just require an hour’s charge to last an ample amount of time for your facial or head hair styling.
Alternatively, you can abandon the charge altogether. Gillette Fusion’s ProGlide Styler Razor, which trims beards with three exchangeable combs and works as a razor, too, proves that good things come in small, non-electrical packages.
If you're looking for tips on how to cut your hair at home for a range of styles, from shaved heads to crew cuts, check out Wahl's How To guide here.
Check out our pick of the best men's hair clippers below.
1. Best men's hair clipper: Wahl Clip N Trim Hair Clipper 79900-800X
- Wahl Clip N Trim Hair Clipper, £34.99 from Argos – buy here
Get the barbershop experience at home with the mains-powered Wahl Clip N Trim, which is effective on super-thick hair and delivers an ultra-close shave thanks to the clipper and trimmer blades (the trimmer blade lets you get twice as close as a standard clipper blade).
This trimmer comes with 10 combs and is designed for use on dry hair (it can't be washed, either).
Fans rave about the quality, bonus features (like how you can trim sideburns immediately after cutting hair) and how easy it is to manoeuvre.
2. Best beard trimmer: Panasonic ER-GB86 Wet&Dry Ultimate Beard Trimmer
- Panasonic ER-GB86 Wet&Dry Ultimate Beard Trimmer, £83 from Very – buy here
This modern marvel brings the barber shop to the bathroom sink with its ability to sculpt beards and trim body hair (including tricky places like eyebrows).
The clippers come with three attachments which allow for 58 cutting lengths (from 0.5mm to 30mm), with ultra-efficient, irritation-minimising 45-degree steel blades.
The Panasonic ER-GB86 is waterproof and can work for up to 50-minutes after an hour’s charge.
Fans agree it’s an excellent, high-quality product created to make the lives of bearded men the world over easier.
3. Best waterproof razor for men: Gillette Fusion ProGlide Styler Razor
- Gillette Fusion ProGlide Styler Razor, £22.49 from Superdrug – buy here
This waterproof trimmer includes three exchangeable combs (2mm, 4mm, 6mm) to allow you to trim your beard, shave (just use any Gillette Fusion5 razor blade) and edge.
The petite size makes it ideal for travelling.
One customer wrote: 'I bought this for my husband and he was really impressed with it. He doesn't use any other now.
'He likes the fact he can neatly trim his beard, moustache and side burns or have a close shave by trimming first to avoid clogging up the razor and pulling the hairs'.
4. Best men's hair clippers set: Remington 25 Piece Stylist Men's Hair Clippers Set
Remington 25 Piece Stylist Men's Hair Clippers Set, £35.99 at Argos – buy here
For the complete home haircare kit and caboodle, Remington's 25 piece set, with stylist clippers and a precision trimmer, can do all kinds of hairstyles as well as tidying up facial hair.
The price is also a winner – and fans are impressed with the range of attachments as well as the battery life.
The 25 piece kit also includes sectioning clips, stainless steel scissors, a hair comb, a moustache comb and eight different comb attachments (3-25mm).
5. Best 5-in-1 hair trimmer for men: Hatteker Beard Trimmer for Men
- Hatteker Beard Trimmer for Men, £26.89 at OnBuy – buy here
It doesn't get much more accessory-heavy than this Hatteker 5-in-1 pro shaving system, which allows you to trim everything from nose hairs and body hair to beards and head hair.
It also has a handy digital indicator that shows you how much time is left on the charge. Not only is it useful for average Joes, but professionals rate it, too.
6. Best rotating hair clippers for men: Philips HeadGroom QC5570/13
- Philips HeadGroom QC5570/13, now £46.99 at Argos – buy here
These user-friendly clippers are great for beginners and make it easy to reach even the trickiest spots thanks to a 180° rotating head.
The clippers have 13 lock-in settings (from 0.5mm to 15mm), come with two comb attachments, and can be used corded or cordless.
'This will be my 3rd one over many years. Looked at other ones but still come back to this one. Easy to use and gives a decent cut. Price is good as well :-)', writes one fan.
7. Best speedy hair clippers for men: Remington Quick Cut Hair Clippers
- Remington Quick Cut Hair Clippers, £40.99 at Argos – buy here
This trimmer is designed to speed up your self-cuts thanks to CurveCut blade technology and a compact, ergonomic design.
It comes with nine combs, a travel pouch and cleaning brush and thousands of five-star reviews from fans who think it's the most brilliant hair tool ever.
8. Best multi-tasking hair clippers for men: BabylissMEN 7861U 12-in-1 Japan Steel Multi Trimmer
BabylissMEN 12-in-1 Multi Trimmer, £79.99 at Argos – buy here
For those who view beard and hair trimming as a craft rather than a chore, BabylissMEN's 12-in-1 trimmer, with Japanese blades for a sharp trim and a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery so it can be used cordlessly, is the right choice for you.
The stylish design can be used in the shower or out, and features a range of attachments, depending on whether you're looking to trim nose hairs, clean up body hair, or perfect stubble and brows, while the precision trimmer gets those hard-to-access hairs.
Fans like that it's lightweight and easy to use – and love it for their beard styling.
9. Best facial razor for men: Harry's The Winston Razor
- The Winston, £18 at Harry's – buy here
With its sharp, durable German blades, flexible hinge, precision trimmer for sideburns and sleek stainless steel design – which can even be personalised – Harry's Winston razor is gorgeous to behold – and works a treat for trimming facial hair.
You can even sign up for the subscription service and get blades delivered to your home – along with shaving gels – every couple of months.
10. Best hair clippers for beginners: Wahl Colour Pro Styler Hair Clipper
- Wahl Colour Pro Styler Hair Clipper, £12.99 at Argos – buy here
This well-priced set is easy to use and has a handy colour-coding system to help you choose the comb you need for your desired hair style.
It comes with a range of accessories, including a neck brush, cleaning brush, scissors, oil, cape, barber’s comb and blade guard, so you get your money’s worth.
11. Best value hair clippers for men: Braun 6 in 1 Beard Trimmer and Hair Clipper Kit
- Braun 6 in 1 Beard Trimmer and Hair Clipper Kit, £19.99 at Argos – buy here
Braun's 6-in-1 beard trimmer and hair clippers ticks a lot of boxes in one well-priced package.
The cordless, rechargeable design is easy to use and clean, has a range of 13 lengths from .5mm – 21mm, and includes four comb attachments and an ear and nose trimmer.
As one reviewer notes, 'was happy to see that even though I am not a professional, I can do a decent job easily with this set. A good range of sizes for both hair shaving and beard trimming attachments'.
12. Best trimmer for your nethers: Manscaped Lawn Mower 3.0
- Manscaped Lawn Mower 3.0 Trimmer, £60 from Manscaped – buy here
The third generation of Manscaped's smash hit Lawn Mower hair trimmer, the 3.0 model is the brand's latest power player.
It's waterproof and comes with a handy rechargeable dock and it's powered by a 7,000 RPM motor to ensure your grooming is efficient and ultra precise.
Best of all, the Lawn Mower is known for its excellent SkinSafe technology, which helps to reduce nicks and snags. This, combined with its ergonomic, diamond-textured design and no-slip grip make it the ideal tool for getting into facial nooks and crannies and for the delicate job of trimming below the waist.
In the brand's words: 'you need precision tools for your family jewels' – and we couldn't agree more.
13. Best precision hair clippers: Philips Series 7000 11-in-1 All-In-One Multigroom
- Philips Series 7000 11-in-1 All-In-One Multigroom, £48 from Amazon – buy here
The ultimate grooming kit for your hair, beard and body (plus a nose trimmer attachment to boot), they don't come much more versatile than the Philips Series 7000.
Self-sharpening blades and DualCut Technology mean it'll fly through the bushiest of mops twice as fast as some of its rivals and its multitude of attachments for beards and stubble are excellent at getting crisp lines.
Which men's hair clippers are best?
There are lots of different styles of men's hair clippers to choose from – the best men's hair clippers for you will depend on your needs.
Brands like Babyliss, Braun, Panasonic, Philips and Remington all make well-rated, easy-to-use hair clippers so you can style your hair (and facial hair) expertly at home.
To avoid pesky wires, try cordless hair clippers.
Look for men's hair clippers with multiple attachments to sort out a variety of grooming needs, like nose hair trimming and ear hair removal.
Hair clippers that offer a range of comb lengths will help ensure you get just the right finish.
What hair clippers do professional barbers use?
Good news: if you invest in a pair of Wahl clippers, they’re favoured by hair professionals around the world.
The Wahl Pro Styler hair clipper is a great beginner’s tool, with colour-coded combs to help you choose the right setting, every time.
How to cut men's hair with clippers
If you can't get yourself to the barbers or hairdressers, it's possible to cut your own hair at home using hair clippers.
We recommend getting someone to help you, as it's much easier than trying to do it alone.
We successfully cut our own hair using the Wahl Clip N Trim hair clippers featured above, and by following this Youtube video.
How you cut your, or someone else's, hair with clippers depends on the cut itself – are you going for a short, back and sides? A buzz cut? Crew cut? While the styles differ, the techniques are broadly the same, so here are some tips:
- Start small – while it's tempting to go for it with the clippers, slow and steady really does win the race when it comes to at-home haircuts. Opt for a higher guard size than what you're aiming for to ease yourself into the cut as you can always take more off later on.
- For best results hair should be dry or damp – not dripping wet, which can be very difficult to cut.
- Always cut against the hair growth for the sharpest cut.
- Start at the nape of your neck and work your way around the sides and to the top of your head.
- Angles are key when cutting with clippers – angle them upwards as you work from the nape of the neck to the top of your head to create a gentle fade before refining the fade later on.
- For shaping around the nape of your neck and ears, remove the guards and turn the clippers over. Carefully and slowly cut a line, drawing downwards from the hairline.
How to blend men's hair with clippers
- Identify the line where you want to blend – where short hair meets long hair.
- Using a comb and clippers together, comb through the longer hair and cut the very tips of the hair.
- Repeat this process until the hair looks blended.
- Alternatively, you can create a fade using a clipper guard that's in-between the sizes of the long and short hair. For example, if the longer hair was cut with a number 4 guard and the short hair with a number 2, you can use a number 3 guard to gradually blend the two together. When doing this, be careful not to cut too much into the long hair.
What hair clippers do barbers use?
Every barber will ultimately have their specific tools of choice, but there are a number of brands that do crop up time and time again as a barber must-have. Wahl, Philips and Andis are all favourites for professionals in the know.
Enjoyed our round-up of the best hair clippers for men? Why not check out the best eye cream for men.
If you're blessed (or cursed) with curly hair, here's 9 products you need to know about.
Smell as good as you look with our edit of the best aftershave for men.
Source: Read Full Article