Not going to happen Jeremy Clarkson shuts down hopes of Tony Blair knighthood axe

Tony Blair: Mother of dead soldier slams knighthood

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Jeremy Clarkson, 61, is known more recently for his work on Diddly Squat farm in his series Clarkson’s Farm. However, this has not stopped the journalist from expressing his opinions on Tony Blair, 68, after the recent petition to have his knighthood axed.

Not going to happen.

Jeremy Clarkson

Tony has been made a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, the most senior form of knighthood, which has been bestowed upon all bar one of his predecessor’s in the Queen’s reign.

The decision, though, has been met with condemnation from anti-war campaigners and bereaved families of soldiers killed in Iraq, who have vowed to return their Elizabeth Crosses in disgust.

A petition to strip Tony of his knighthood over the Iraq war has so far received over one million signatures.

Taking to his column last Friday, Jeremy said: “And now everyone is saying that, in the face of such huge opposition, Mrs Queen should back down and strip the man of his gong, even before he officially gets it.

“Not going to happen, I’m afraid, because a million signatures is nothing.

“On the website that’s hosting the anti-Sir Blair movement, more than three times as many people care about getting Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe out of Iran.

“And more than a million put their name to a campaign to stop animal abusers from ever owning a pet again.”

He continued that although there were one million signatures, “it’s a fact that everyone else in the country either thinks he should get the knighthood or is so ambivalent” they do not sign properly on the website.

Tory Cabinet minister Michael Gove has spoken out about this, saying the honour was “entirely appropriate” for Tony.

He told Sky News on Monday: “I think we should all recognise that he served this country, he continues to serve this country, and I don’t think it’s possible for anyone to be in a position like that without attracting controversy and without inviting opposition.

“But for myself, if I look back at Tony Blair’s record, while there are aspects of it with which I can disagree, I think any fair-minded person would say that he was an outstanding statesman and performer and as a prime minister who put public service first this recognition from Her Majesty is entirely appropriate.”

Michael’s comments come after five parents of soldiers were united in their grief over the fury of Tony’s knighthood.

Last week, the Daily Mail also published an open letter by Carol Valentine, Hazel Hunt, Caroline Whitaker, Caroline Jane Munday-Baker and Helen Perry to the Queen, begging the monarch to revoke the honour awarded to Mr Blair on New Year’s Day.

On Saturday, they shared stories and lit a candle for their sons, who each died in Afghanistan before their 30th birthday.

The Change.org petition, which accuses Tony of being “personally responsible” for the death of “countless” civilians and servicemen, hit one million signatures Friday afternoon.

The creator, former soldier Angus Scott, claimed the former prime minister had been the cause of “irreparable damage” to the constitution of the UK.

The petition added: “Tony Blair caused irreparable damage to both the constitution of the United Kingdom and to the very fabric of the nation’s society.

“He was personally responsible for causing the death of countless innocent civilian lives and servicemen in various conflicts. For this alone he should be held accountable for war crimes.

“Tony Blair is the least deserving person of any public honour, particularly anything awarded by Her Majesty the Queen.”

The former Prime Minister has long faced criticism for sending troops into Afghanistan and Iraq, a decision which culminated in a devastating report by Sir John Chilcot in 2016 which found he overplayed evidence about Saddam Hussein’s weapons of mass destruction.

Source: Read Full Article