Bridgerton star Regé-Jean Page says he was NEVER returning

Bridgerton star Regé-Jean Page is seen for the first time since announcing he WON’T return for second series of the hit Netflix period drama

Bridgerton star Rege-Jean Page was spotted leaving his Los Angeles apartment as he was seen for the first time since announcing his departure from the show.

The actor, 31, was seen carrying luggage out to his driver wearing a form-fitting grey T-shirt and a pair of tracksuit bottoms in north Hollywood on Friday.

It comes after Rege-Jean revealed he was never planning to return to the period drama for its second series as it was confirmed his character won’t appear again.

Stepping out: Bridgerton star Rege-Jean Page was spotted leaving his Los Angeles apartment as he was seen for the first time since announcing his departure from the show

Rege-Jean, who plays the Duke of Hastings Simon Bassett on screen, appeared to be moving to a new location judging by the suitcase in his hand.

The screen star, who is rumoured to be in the shortlist to play the next Bond, was also sporting a face mask and carried a black rucksack on his back.

The outing came hours after the news broke that he won’t be returning to Bridgerton for a second series, which was confirmed earlier this year. 

Outing: The actor, 31, was seen carrying luggage out to his driver wearing a form-fitting grey T-shirt and a pair of tracksuit bottoms in north Hollywood on Friday

News: It comes after Rege-Jean revealed he was never planning to return to the period drama for its second series as it was confirmed his character won’t appear again


On the move? Rege-Jean, who plays the Duke of Hastings Simon Bassett on screen, appeared to be moving to a new location judging by the suitcase in his hand

Rege-Jean said the show had a ‘one-season arc’ and his character’s story was finalised in one series. 

He told Variety: ‘It’s a one-season arc. It’s going to have a beginning, middle, end – give us a year.

‘That’s interesting,’ because then it felt like a limited series. I get to come in, I get to contribute my bit and then the Bridgerton family rolls on.’

Belongings: The screen star, who is rumoured to be among the shortlist to play the next Bond, was also sporting a face mask and carried a black rucksack on his back


Devastated fans: The outing came hours after the news broke that he won’t be returning to Bridgerton for a second series, which was confirmed earlier this year

Rege-Jean’s exit has only fuelled speculation that he will replace Daniel Craig as the next James Bond, as his odds were slashed to play the iconic spy.

In January, Rege-Jean was the bookies favourites to take on 007 after he hinted he could be a good contender to succeed Daniel Craig.

And now the odds have been slashed after the screen star announced he won’t be returning to season two.

Bookies have dropped odds from 5/1 to just 7/2 following the shock news as it has ‘strengthened’ his chances of getting the role.

No going back! Rege-Jean said the show had a ‘one-season arc’ and his character’s story was finalised in one series

Several big names have been tipped for the role since the announcement that Craig will be stepping down, as stars including Idris Elba and Outlander’s Sam Heughan have all been suggested as contenders for the part.  

Tom Hardy and Jame Norton also lead the list of potential future 007s with odds of 2/1 and 5/2 – respectively – at the bookies.

Alex Apati of Ladbrokes said: ‘Rege-Jean Page has been tipped as a potential Daniel Craig replacement and today’s shock Bridgerton news has only strengthened his chances of getting the gig. 

007? In January, the actor was the bookies favourites to take on 007 after he hinted he could be a good contender to succeed Daniel Craig (pictured in No Time To Die) 

Back in January, Regé-Jean hinted that he could be a good contender to succeed Daniel Craig as James Bond.

The actor was leading the bookies favourites to take on the role at the time and fans had also thrown their support behind him. 

Regé-Jean added fuel to the fire when he took to Twitter to share a glimpse of his character Simon Bassett, Duke Of Hastings, and referenced 007’s iconic drink order as he wrote: ‘Regency, royalty Shaken and stirred.’  

Hint: Ahead of the show’s release in December, Regé-Jean took to Twitter to share a glimpse of his character Simon Bassett, Duke Of Hastings, and referenced 007’s iconic drink order

It has previously been suggested that the new series will centre around Andrew Bridgerton, played by Jonathan Bailey, and his quest to find a wife. 

The hit Netflix series took to its official Twitter account to reveal that the actor, who plays Simon Basset, won’t be appearing on season two.

The account confirmed that Rege-Jean’s on-screen wife Phoebe Dynevor will return for the next instalment of the streaming phenomenon.

Regé-Jean, who is set to star in The Gray Man, also took to Instagram to confirm the news as he emotionally said it had been a ‘pleasure and a privilege to be your Duke’. 

Bridgerton fans, including Kim Kardashian, were left devastated by the shock exit as they took to social media to share their heartbreak.

Shock: Bridgerton heart-throb Regé-Jean Page will not return for series two, it was announced on Friday (pictured in character)  

In a tongue-in-cheek statement penned as the mysterious show lead Lady Whistledown, Bridgerton tweeted: ‘Your Grace, it has been a pleasure.’   

The statement read: ‘Dear Readers, while all eyes turn to Lord Anthony Bridgerton’s quest to find a Viscountess, we bid adieu to Regé-Jean Page, who so triumphantly played the Duke of Hastings. 

‘We’ll miss Simon’s presence onscreen, but he will always be a part of the Bridgerton family. 

‘Daphne will remain a devoted wife and sister, helping her brother navigate the upcoming social season and what it has to offer – more intrigue and romance than my readers may be able to bear. Yours truly, Lady Whistledown.’

Statement: The hit Netflix series took to its official Twitter account to reveal that the actor, 31, who plays Simon Basset, the Duke of Hastings, will not be back

Regé-Jean later confirmed his show exit in his own statement posted to Instagram where he shared a picture of himself in character and behind-the-scenes.

He penned: ‘The ride of a life time. It’s been an absolute pleasure and a privilege to be your Duke. 

‘Joining this family – not just on screen, but off screen too. Our incredibly creative and generous cast, crew, outstanding fans – it’s all been beyond anything I could have imagined.’

Signing off his message, he added: ‘The love is real and will just keep growing ❤️❤️❤️.’ 

Emotional: Regé-Jean later confirmed his show exit in his own statement posted to Instagram where he shared a picture of himself in character and behind-the-scenes 

The official Netflix account also re-shared the same statement, adding: ‘You’ll always be our Simon, Regé.

While show creator Shonda Rhimes also released a statement about Regé-Jean’s exit from the steamy period drama series.

The producer and screenwriter, 51, tweeted: ‘Remember: the Duke is never gone. He’s just waiting to be binge watched all over again. #ShondalandMenOnNetflixAreForever.’

Fans, including Kim Kardashian, were left devastated over the news as they took to social media to share their heartbreak. 

Kim, 40, commented on the official Bridgerton Instagram page with: ‘Wait!!! WHAT????’

Sad: The official Netflix account also re-shared the same statement, adding: ‘You’ll always be our Simon, Regé.’ 

Show creator: Show creator Shonda Rhimes also released a statement about Regé-Jean’s exit from the steamy period drama series 

A different fan said: ‘This can’t be true??!!?? Simon is the show.’ 

Another viewer commented: ‘Thank you @regejean for being the best Duke we could ever dream of!’ 

While a different account added: ‘Oh no!! I thought he was a going to be a side character. I don’t think I’ll watch it without him…’ 

Bridgerton follows the self-titled family and how their lives are turned upside-down by the revelations of the illusive and anonymous Lady Whistledown in London. 

Superfan: Bridgerton fans, including Kim Kardashian, were left devastated by the shock exit as they took to social media to share their heartbreak 

Woah! Kim, 40, commented on the official Bridgerton Instagram page with: ‘Wait!!! WHAT????’

The first series had a strong focus on the love story of Simon Basset, the Duke of Hastings, played by Regé-Jean Page, and Daphne Bridgerton, played by Phoebe Dynevor. 

The two characters start out as friends as a ploy to fool London’s elite and Lady Whistledown herself. 

Yet after falling in love, Simon is forced to confront his inner demons after vowing to never marry or sire an heir to his dukedom out of spite to his late abusive father.  

Bridgerton was officially renewed by Netflix for series 2 in January after weeks of speculation. 

Candid: Regé-Jean told Variety that the ‘short-term commitment’ to the role was an appeal for him as it is a ‘one-season arc’ (pictured on the Graham Norton Show in February)

Who is Regé-Jean Page and what’s next for the Bridgerton heart-throb?

Regé-Jean Page lived in North London as a teenager after growing up in Harare, Zimbabwe. He spent the majority of his 20s in Los Angeles. 

The actor, 31, has always been destined for stardom and as a teenager he was the lead singer of rock band The Super Nashwan Kids.

In unearthed snaps taken between 2005 to 2009, Regé-Jean looked worlds away from his high society role as he rocked purple hair and jammed on stage with his band. 

The actor commanded attention as he put on a show for packed audiences in Camden, London, while being the group’s lead singer back in the noughties. 

Regé-Jean went on to have small roles in dramas such as Casualty and Casualty@Holby City in 2005. 

The actor also appeared in Fresh Meat in 2013, Waterloo Road in 2015 and For The People in 2018-2019. 

Regé-Jean soared to fame as Simon Basset, the Duke of Hastings, in series one of Netflix’s Bridgerton.

The actor is set to star in Netflix’s new rival to Bond movie in the streaming giant’s upcoming action film The Gray Man. 

Regé-Jean will appear alongside Ryan Gosling, 40, and Ana De Armas, 32, in the espionage action thriller, which is set to be the ‘biggest-budget film’ in Netflix’s history. 

The actor, whose character is yet to be revealed, will also join Billy Bob Thornton, 65, and Alfre Woodard, 68, and Chris Evans, 39. 

Back in January, Regé-Jean hinted that he could be a good contender to succeed Daniel Craig as James Bond.

The actor was leading the bookies favourites to take on the role at the time and fans had also thrown their support behind him. 

Regé-Jean added fuel to the fire when he took to Twitter to share a glimpse of his character Simon Bassett, Duke Of Hastings, and referenced 007’s iconic drink order as he wrote: ‘Regency, royalty Shaken and stirred.’

The news comes amid claims the actor has secured a lead role in the upcoming adventure film, Dungeon & Dragons. 

Hooray! Bridgerton was officially renewed by Netflix for series 2 in January after weeks of speculation

The actor is set to star in Netflix’s new rival to Bond movie in the streaming giant’s upcoming action film The Gray Man. 

According to Deadline, Regé-Jean will appear alongside Ryan Gosling, 40, and Ana De Armas, 32, in the espionage action thriller, which is set to be the ‘biggest-budget film’ in Netflix’s history.

The actor, whose character is yet to be revealed, will also join Billy Bob Thornton, 65, and Alfre Woodard, 68, and Chris Evans, 39.

Taking to Instagram to confirm the news in March, Regé-Jean shared a screenshot of the announcement as he added three explanation marks.

With hints of a Bond-inspired storyline, Deadline reports the thriller will centre around ‘a freelance assassin and former CIA operative Court Gentry (Gosling) as he’s hunted across the globe by Lloyd Hansen (Evans) a former cohort of Gentry’s at the CIA’. 

Quest for love: The second season will focus on Anthony Bridgerton’s (Jonathan Bailey) quest to find a wife after his turbulent affair with opera singer Siena Rosso was played out in the first series (pictured in show still) 

Production for the star-studded Netflix action movie is reportedly set to start in Los Angeles in two weeks time and the movie is said to hav a $200million budget.

Deadline reports: ‘The on-demand platform is hoping that it will kick-start a new film franchise with a James Bond level of scale.’

Joe and Anthony Russo are directing after developing the project for some time with Sony. The film is said to have gone back on the market over the summer and was picked up by Netflix. 

The Russos also wrote the script with updates from Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely.

The Gray Man is based on the first instalment in the best-selling book series of the same name. The first book was author Mark Greaney’s debut novel in 2009. 

Busy bee! The actor is set to star in Netflix ‘s new rival to Bond movie in the streaming giant’s upcoming action film The Gray Man (pictured in New York City in February) 

Regé-Jean Page lived in North London as a teenager after growing up in Harare, Zimbabwe. He spent the majority of his 20s in Los Angeles. 

The actor has always been destined for stardom and as a teenager he was the lead singer of rock band The Super Nashwan Kids.

In unearthed snaps taken between 2005 to 2009, Regé-Jean  looked worlds away from his high society role as he rocked purple hair and jammed on stage with his band. 


Star-studded! Regé-Jean joins a star-studded cast with Ana De Armas, left, and  Ryan Gosling, right, also involved with the project  

The actor commanded attention as he put on a show for packed audiences in Camden, London, while being the group’s lead singer back in the noughties. 

Regé-Jean went on to have small roles in dramas such as Casualty and Casualty@Holby City in 2005. 

The actor also appeared in Fresh Meat in 2013, Waterloo Road in 2015 and For The People in 2018-2019.  

Success: Bridgerton debuted on Christmas Day and has remained in the top spot on Netflix’s most-watched list ever since, proving to be a mammoth success 

Source: Read Full Article